MATCH REPORT: Bristol Rovers 0-0 Peterborough

Rovers play out a entertaining scoreless draw at the Mem in their first league game since the departure of former manager Graham Coughlan.

Rovers celebrated the life of Emila Harvie before the game, with over 2000 cuddly toys collected for donation to local children’s hospitals this Christmas

After the hectic week behind the scenes at the club it was good to see that there was continuity in the starting XI, with the coaching staff naming an un-changed team from the win at Plymouth in the week. Sticking with the back 5 that has served Rovers so well this season.

The game began at a frantic pace with both teams threatening to create. Firstly, Tyler Smith almost found himself through on goal if not for the linesman’s flag and then, for Peterborough , Eisa found himself in behind the Rovers back four but a good challenge from Alfie Kilgour allowed for Rovers to clear.

Peterborough had the ball in the net, however Eisa was offside following Jaakkola’s save from a fiercely struck shot from outside the area.

The game continued in it’s end to end nature however the final ball from both teams just wasn’t the one. Rovers best chance of the first half fell to Tyler Smith but his strike from just outside the box deflected over for a corner.

Both teams defended well, throwing bodies on the line to stop crosses and shots, this strong defensive structure from both teams meant that there weren’t any clear-cut chances, in the first half and both teams went in scoreless.

Thankfully for those in attendance, the end to end nature of the game continued into the second half, with Rovers controlling the ball and Peterborough looking to hit the gas on the counter attack, mainly looking to hit Ivan Toney down the channels.

Peterborough’s plan looked to be working and , if not for the heroics of Anssi Jaakkola, Rovers would have found themselves a goal down. The Finnish ‘Keeper firstly denied Eisa and then substitute Jade-Jones to keep Rovers in the game.

Jaakkola bravely dives in-front of Mo Eisa to keep the score level.

Rovers did have chances of their own in the second half and if not for the brave defending of Frankie Kent, Upson would have certainly found the back of this. However Rovers best chance came in the first minute of stoppage time where neat passes between Clarke and Leahy left the Rovers skipper bearing down on goal but his effort was well saved by Pym.

This result leaves the Gas 4th in League One, with a game in hand against many of the teams surrounding them. However now the attention turns to Wimbledon on Boxing day and of course the small matter of finding a new manager.